“Giving a Baby Up” for Adoption in the Military

No matter where you are, unplanned pregnancies can, and do, happen. If you are on active duty, you may be wondering, “Can you put your child up for adoption while in the military?”

The answer is yes. Making an adoption plan for your child while you’re in the military is the same as placing a child for adoption as a civilian. If you’re considering adoption for your unborn baby, you’re likely concerned about whether adoption agencies even work with military members “giving kids up” for adoption. The good news is that many do. Even if you’re a U.S. citizen stationed overseas, you’ll still be able to receive help creating an adoption plan.

No matter where you are during your pregnancy, adoption will always be an option for you. To make an adoption plan for your baby while you’re overseas, or if your spouse is deployed, don’t be afraid to reach out to an adoption professional for free information.

Here are some questions that we receive when it comes to placing a baby for adoption while in the military.

How Do I Put My Baby Up for Adoption if I’m Active-Duty Military?

The process of “giving your baby up” for adoption in the military will be mostly the same as if you were any civilian in the United States. You’ll start by reaching out to an adoption specialist who will help explain the process of creating an adoption plan. From there, you’ll pick an adoptive family from a selection of profiles your adoption specialist has given you.

Once you’ve picked the perfect adoptive family for your baby, you’ll start getting to know them. Even if you’re deployed, you can get to know one another through phone calls, emails, and even pictures and letters.

Once you’ve found the perfect family for your baby, you’ll get ready for the birth and for placement. Once your baby is born, you’ll have to wait a certain amount of time to consent to the adoption. The length of time will depend on which state you deliver in.

Even when you’re in the military or deployed overseas, you’ll be able to receive many of the same services that adoptive families currently living in the United States do. You’ll have access to counseling before, during and after the adoption, if you need it. In addition, you’ll also be able to receive free legal representation during your adoption.

What Should I Do if the Birth Father is on Active Duty?

Sometimes, the birth mother is considering adoption while the birth father is deployed. And in some cases, he may be deployed and unsupportive of your choice for an adoption. The laws surrounding the birth fathers’ rights while “giving your baby up” for adoption in the army, navy or other military branch are tricky. The best place to start is with either an adoption specialist or an adoption attorney. They’ll be able to tell you what rights, if any, your baby’s birth father has in an adoption while he’s deployed.

What Should I Do if I’m Already Overseas?

When you’re overseas, you may feel stuck and it can seem like you don’t have many options for your pregnancy.  We want to reassure you that no matter where you are, you can still create an adoption plan while you’re in the military. If you’re an active-duty family and you happened to be stationed overseas, but are considering an adoption, you’ll just need to return to the United States for the birth and for the baby’s placement.

Can I Get My Child Back Once I Return Home?

One of the most important things you’ll need to do before you’re deployed is to make sure that you have a plan in place for your child. If you are a single military parent or you are married to another military member, you will need to set up a family care plan for your child. This will ensure that your child is taken care of in the event of a separation. You’ll need to make sure that the person you designate as caregiver understands their roles and responsibilities in taking care of your child.

Adoption isn’t the same as a family care plan. Whether you are “giving your baby up” for adoption in the army, navy, air force or marines, once you’ve placed your child for adoption with another family and signed away your parental rights, you won’t be able to have custody of them again. If you’re considering an adoption, you’ll need to make sure that this is the right decision for yourself and your family. The best resource if you’re wondering what the best option is for you is an adoption specialist.  They’ll be able to provide counseling, support and more information if you’re wondering, “How do I put my baby up for adoption if I’m active-duty military?”

Are you wondering, “How do you get an adoption hotline phone number in the military?” That’s easy. Just reach out to a local or national adoption agency for more information.

Get Free Info