Can I Make an Adoption Plan if CPS is Involved?

You’ve just found out that you’re pregnant, and you’re almost certain that the best decision for yourself and your baby is adoption. But if you, like many women across the United States, have other children in CPS custody, you may be unsure of where you can look for answers. You may worry, “Can a parent put a baby up for adoption after CPS has intervened?”

The most important thing to remember is that you’re not alone. Many women have been in your shoes before, and your adoption professional will do everything they can to make sure that you have the answers and resources you need as you’re wondering about CPS or DCF involvement when placing a child for adoption.

You likely have many questions on how to proceed with the adoption process if you already have a case with CPS. In this situation, the best resource for more information will be your CPS caseworker. You can also always contact a private adoption agency to learn more about your options.

We know that it can be painful to think about adoption for your unborn baby while you’re already dealing with the heartbreak of being separated from your children that are in CPS custody. But, if you have a strong feeling that adoption is the best decision for you and your unborn baby’s well-being, here is what you need to know about DCF involvement when you’re placing a child for adoption.

Every adoption is different, and making an adoption plan when you already have children in CPS custody is no exception. If you’d like to reach out to an adoption specialist for more information about what to do next, or for a kind word of advice, we’re always available 24/7.

Can You Give a Newborn Up for Adoption if You Have an Existing CPS Case?

Yes, it is possible to make a voluntary adoption plan for your new baby, even if you have an existing CPS case for your other children. If you already have children that are in CPS or DCF custody, you’re likely scared about DCF involvement for placing a child for adoption and what rights, if any, they have when it comes to your newborn baby.

Thankfully, you don’t have to be worried. Even if you already have children that are in CPS custody, you have the right to put your new baby up for adoption through a private agency. As long as you contact an adoption specialist and notify your CPS caseworker that you are working with a private adoption agency, you should be able to make an adoption plan for your newborn baby.

Benefits of Working With an Adoption Agency

The best way to make sure that there is no chance of your child being taken into CPS custody is by making an adoption plan with a private adoption agency. Here are some of the benefits you’ll be able to experience if you decide to make a voluntary adoption plan:

  • The ability to choose the perfect family for your unborn baby
  • Financial assistance throughout your pregnancy and even after the adoption
  • Free legal representation
  • The option to continue your relationship with your child after the adoption
  • Access to free educational and counseling resources
  • And so much more!

Working with an adoption agency will give you the freedom to create the life you’ve always wanted to provide for your child. In fact, making an adoption plan for your baby when you have other children in foster care can prevent your baby from being taken into state custody, and may help you to focus on reuniting with your older children, as well.

CPS can only gain custody of your child involuntarily. This means that if you make an adoption plan with a private agency, you won’t have to worry about your child being placed into CPS custody. If you are a pregnant woman considering an adoption for your newborn baby, it’s highly recommended that you speak with an adoption specialist as soon as possible. If you have any additional questions about what rights CPS has in an adoption, don’t be afraid to reach out to your CPS caseworker.

How Do I Adopt My Child When He or She’s in CPS?

Many birth parents wonder, “Do I have the right to adopt my child out when there is a CPS case involved? Can I adopt my child out if he or she has been taken by social workers?” Unfortunately, once your child is in CPS, you won’t be able to place them for an adoption through an adoption agency. Once your child is in CPS custody, they are the ones who will decide where your child is placed, not you.

If your child does get placed into CPS custody, you can start the process to be reunited with them. But you won’t be to decide what happens to them in the meantime. You won’t be able to set your own communication preferences or decide where they get to grow up. And you definitely won’t get a say in what kind of future you’d like them to have.

The best thing to do in this situation is to contact an adoption specialist as soon as you can — preferably even before CPS intervenes. There are several options available for you if you are wondering, “Can you give a newborn up for adoption if you have an existing CPS case?”  The best place to start is by talking to an adoption specialist or a CPS specialist for more resources in your situation. To learn more about how to adopt a child out when he’s in CPS, contact an adoption professional today.

Get Free Info