When you choose adoption in Wilmington, DE, you are doing something brave.
Throughout your adoption process, you have control of everything that makes you feel comfortable and confident in your Wilmington adoption.
You can contact us online at any time to be connected with an adoption professional if you’re ready to start your adoption in Wilmington today. You can also get answers to all your questions about “giving up” baby for adoption in Wilmington.
This guide will cover five important things to know about your Wilmington adoption:
- Completing the 5 Steps on how to “give up” baby for adoption in Wilmington
- Know when you can “give up” baby for adoption in Wilmington?
- Learn how to find an adoption agency in Wilmington that fits your needs
- Get help finding an adoptive family in Wilmington
- Apply for financial assistance for adoption in Wilmington
Remember that each adoption is unique, but most adoptions follow a similar process. Keep reading to learn the five basic steps of “giving up” baby for adoption in Wilmington.
How to “Give Up” Baby for Adoption in Wilmington [The Adoption Process]
The process for adoption through a Wilmington adoption agency can vary depending on your personal situation, but you can use this guide to help you along the way.
Step 1. Know That Adoption in Wilmington is Right for You
Adoption is one of your three pregnancy options when you’re facing an unplanned pregnancy.
It is important to do your research on the benefits of adoption, talk to an experienced adoption professional, and have a supportive adoption team that you can trust.
Step 2. Contact an Adoption Agency to Get Adoption Information and Support
A licensed adoption agency in Wilmington is designed to help you have a safe and ethical adoption that follows all Delaware adoption laws.
You are not required to work with an adoption agency in Wilmington, but most women do. That’s because an agency will provide all the support that you need, and they’ll help you feel confident in your adoption process.
The best adoption agencies in Wilmington provide the following services to prospective birth parents:
- 24/7 communication
- Adoption counseling
- Financial assistance for adoption
- Licensed social workers
- Adoption attorneys
- And more
Contact an adoption agency today, or contact us online to get help from an adoption professional at our adoption agency.
Step 3. Get Help from Your Adoption Specialist [Create an Adoption Plan]
One of the first things you will do when you choose adoption in Wilmington is create your adoption plan. Your adoption plan gives you control over all the decisions that you get to make during the adoption process.
Here is a list of some of the things you get to choose during your Wilmington adoption:
- What type of adoptive parents do you want your child to have?
- Do you want your child to have brothers and sisters?
- Do you want your child to live in Delaware or in another state?
- What opportunities would you like your child to experience?
- What type of education do you want for your child?
- At which hospital do you want to give birth?
- And more
Your adoption agency will be by your side when you’re answering these questions. They will have knowledge about what types of things you should consider when you’re creating your plan for adoption in Wilmington.
When you have a strong adoption plan, then you can be confident in your unique adoption process.
Step 4. Find the Perfect Adoptive Parents for Your Baby
You may be wondering, “How do I find people looking for adoption in Wilmington?”
The answer is to view adoption profiles of hopeful parents who want to start or grow their family through Wilmington adoption.
An adoption profile will have information about hopeful adoptive parents that you need to know. You can find the following information in an adoption profile:
- Where the adoptive parents live
- How many children the adoptive parents already have
- Why the hopeful adoptive parents want to adopt a child
- What type of pets the adoptive parents have
- Fun things the adoptive parents like to do together
- What occupations the adoptive parents have
- And more
Adoption agencies in Wilmington can work with many hopeful adoptive families and it can be beneficial for you to get help finding adoptive parents that fit what you want for your child. Your adoption specialist can mail you adoption profiles or send you adoption profiles to view online.
Remember to take as much time as you need to choose the perfect adoptive parents for your Wilmington adoption.
Step 5. Give Birth and Sign Paperwork for Consent to Adoption in Wilmington
When it’s time for you to give birth, you can make sure that everyone involved in your Wilmington adoption is prepared to support what you want in your adoption birth plan. Your birth plan is a part of your adoption plan, and it specifically covers what you want to happen before, during and after childbirth.
The birth plan also gives you the opportunity to decide when you’re ready to sign paperwork for consent to adoption in Wilmington. There are three important things that you need to know about signing adoption paperwork for consent:
- According to Delaware adoption laws, you can sign paperwork for consent to adoption in Wilmington at any time after your baby is born.
- Signing paperwork for consent to Wilmington adoption means that you are terminating your parental rights to your child.
- After you sign paperwork for consent to adoption in Wilmington and termination of your parental rights, your child will be placed with the adoptive parents that you chose for them.
Although Wilmington adoption is final, you can create a communication plan with your child’s adoptive parents to continue to be a part of their lives and see your child grow up. Over 90% of adoptions today are open adoptions.
When Can I Give Up Baby for Adoption in Wilmington?
Adoption in Wilmington is available to you at any time during your pregnancy and even after your baby is born. There is no perfect time and there is no wrong time to choose adoption in Wilmington.
Here are three examples of when birth parents have chosen adoption:
- Choosing adoption for your unborn baby means that your baby does not have to be born yet when you choose adoption in Wilmington.
- Last-minute adoption means that you decide to place your baby for adoption right before childbirth or right after the baby is born at the hospital, and that’s OK. Contact a Wilmington adoption agency while you’re at the hospital and an experienced adoption specialist can help you begin the adoption process.
- If you’ve already taken your baby home from the hospital, you can still choose adoption in Wilmington. Your adoption specialist can help you choose hopeful adoptive parents who are looking to adopt a baby that is a few weeks or even a few months old.
If you are considering adoption today, you can contact an adoption professional at a Wilmington adoption agency to ask questions and begin the adoption process. Contact us online to learn more about when you can choose adoption in Wilmington.
Adoption Agencies in Wilmington
Not all adoption agencies in Wilmington are the same, but they generally provide similar adoption services for prospective birth parents.
There are two main types of adoption agencies in Wilmington:
- Local adoption agencies are located in only one state, like Delaware, and they work with adoptive families who live in that state. If you want your child to live in Delaware, then you can work with a local Wilmington adoption agency.
- National adoption agencies work with prospective birth parents and hopeful adoptive parents who live in any state in U.S. They can work with hundreds of adoptive parents at once, but keep in mind that even if you work with a national adoption agency in Wilmington, you can still find adoptive parents that live in Delaware.
Here is a list of local and national adoption agencies in Wilmington, or near Wilmington:
- American Adoptions
- Bethany Christian Services
- Open Arms Adoption Network
- Adoptions from the Heart
- Madison Adoption Associates
Finding an Adoptive Family in Wilmington
You get to choose the hopeful adoptive parents who will adopt your child, and you deserve to find the best family possible.
Adoption matching services at adoption agencies in Wilmington are created to help you and hopeful adoptive parents find one another for an adoption opportunity.
Here are three steps to how matching services work for adoption in Wilmington:
Step 1: Your adoption specialist can send you adoption profiles, or you can view adoption profiles online.
Step 2: Choose an adoptive family that you think would be perfect for your baby and let your adoption specialist know who they are.
Step 3: Your adoption specialist will contact the hopeful adoptive parents and if they accept your adoption opportunity, then you have an adoption match.
Your adoption specialist can help you narrow down the number of adoption profiles that you view because it can be overwhelming to view too many at once. Take as much time as you need to choose the right adoptive parents for your Wilmington adoption.
Contact us online today if you find an adoptive family that you like. You will be connected with an adoption professional who can help you through the adoption process.
Getting Financial Assistance for Adoption in Wilmington
Adoption is always free for prospective birth parents in Wilmington, DE, or anywhere in the U.S. If you’re experiencing financial hardship and you want a Wilmington adoption, then you can receive adoption financial assistance.
Receiving financial assistance for adoption in Wilmington is not the same as “getting paid” for adoption. Financial assistance for adoption in Wilmington is to help decrease financial instability for prospective birth mothers and give them financial support during pregnancy.
You don’t need to worry about paying for the following things when you choose to have a Wilmington adoption:
- Medical expenses for prenatal healthcare and childbirth
- Legal expenses for adoption attorney fees
- Living expenses for groceries, housing, maternity clothing, transportation, and more
Before receiving financial assistance for adoption in Wilmington, you must complete the following three steps:
Step 1: Get help from your adoption specialist in collecting your financial documents for review — pay stubs, bank statements and billing statements.
Step 2: Your adoption attorney will submit your financial documents to the court, and they will decide how much financial assistance you can receive for your adoption in Wilmington.
Step 3: Once the court approves the amount, your adoption agency in Wilmington will ensure that your medical, legal and living expenses are paid.
Your adoption agency will manage your medical, legal and living expenses so that you can have a successful adoption in Wilmington with little to no financial stress. Financial assistance for adoption in Wilmington helps you cover expenses that you would otherwise struggle to pay as a prospective birth mother while you’re going through the adoption process.
You can contact us online to learn more about qualifying for adoption financial assistance when you choose adoption in Wilmington for your baby.
What’s Next for Your Unplanned Pregnancy?
If you’re not sure that adoption in Wilmington is right for you, that’s OK.
You have three unplanned pregnancy options:
- Raising your child by parenting
- Placing your child for adoption in Wilmington
- Terminating the pregnancy by abortion
Each unplanned pregnancy option is unique and only you can decide which option is right for you.
Working with an unplanned pregnancy counselor can be one of your best resources. You can contact us online at any time to get answers about your unplanned pregnancy, or to begin your Wilmington adoption process.